The big blow of virtual reality (VR), which was to replace traditional gaming, did not have the expected effect. But it’s not all to throw away and here’s how to get the most out of the VR headset experience!
Virtual reality VR price
- 1 Virtual reality VR price
- 2 Models of VR headset and comparison:
- 3 Other VR headsets?
VR has evolved well, but prices have not always followed a downward curve. Today, to play in virtual reality in good conditions, a certain budget is to be allocated, if only for the purchase of the initial helmet, without counting the games.
Count between $199 (PSVR) and $449 (Oculus Quest) to obtain a VR headset … and up to $1000 for a power monster.
Models of VR headset and comparison:
Among today’s VR ranges, there are several brands that have already made their mark on the market.
Oculus is present with 3 models, 1 of which will not be released until 2020
The Oculus Quest (2 versions available, 64 or 128GB) is sold at $574.99, while its big brother the Oculus Rift S is worth the same price but will not be released until later in 2020. The last of the range, Oculus Go, is not intended for video games. On Steam, Oculus headphones represent 50% of the machines used and for good reason: high resolutions, ultra-short response time, affordable prices, very good controllers … The brand owned by Facebook has managed to rise to the top market with its weighty arguments!
- All-in-one VR: Simply set up the device with your Oculus mobile app and Oculus Quest has everything you need to explore VR, right out of the box
- Insight tracking: Oculus Insight tracking system instantly reflects your movements in VR without the need for any external accessories
- Touch controllers: Oculus Touch controllers precisely recreate your hands, their gestures and interactions, so every game is real enough to reach out and touch
- Beyond room-scale: Oculus Quest works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting, in spaces big or small
- Oculus Quest requires your Facebook account to log in, making it easy to meet up with friends in VR and discover communities around the world.
- Next level gameplay: Launching with original games and experiences like Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series.
- All-in-one VR: Simply set up the device with your Oculus mobile app and Oculus Quest has everything you need to explore VR, right out of the box.
- Insight tracking: Oculus Insight tracking system instantly reflects your movements in VR without the need for any external accessories.
- Touch controllers: Oculus Touch controllers precisely recreate your hands, their gestures and interactions, so every game is real enough to reach out and touch.
- Beyond room-scale: Oculus Quest works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting, in spaces big or small.
- Top VR gaming library: Blast, slash and soar your way through the top library in VR gaming. Oculus Rift S lets you play hundreds of games and exclusives already available in the Oculus store, with so much more to come.
- Improved optics: Stare down the competition with next-generation lenses and a sharper display. Improved optics deliver bright, vivid colors and reduced “screen-door” effect.
- Ergonomic design: Keep your head in the game thanks to a Halo headband redesigned with speed in mind. Rift S stays securely and comfortably in place with a quick twist of the fit wheel, so it can take-or double take-your fastest reactions.
- Oculus touch controllers: Arm yourself with our updated Oculus touch controllers. Your slashes, throws and grab appear in VR with intuitive, realistic precision, transporting your hands and gestures right into the game.
- Oculus insight tracking: take a step forward with Oculus insight. It translates your movements into VR No matter which way you're facing and provides room-scale tracking without external sensors.
- Personal Viewing: The littlest, big screen. Crystal clear optics and state-of-the-art 3D graphics make your headset feel more like a personal theater
- Viewing with Friends: Watch with friends. Meet up in VR with friends and fans from around the world to catch live sports, concerts, or just your favorite TV show
- Portable & Easy to Use: Ready when you are. Experience portable, all-in-1 VR. That means no PC, phone, wires or hassles
- Controller: Effortless control. Whether it's navigating to your favorite shows or to a far-off land, the intuitive controller makes getting there a cinch
- Built-In Audio: Surrounded by sound. Spatial audio drivers are built right into the headset, providing dramatic, immersive sound without the need for bulky or tangled headphones. Oculus Go also features a 3.5 millimeter audio jack
HTC’s VR range is divided into several branches, all very expensive
A single HTC headset is intended for “modest” players, it is the classic HTC VIVE, already marketed from $699.99! In addition, the brand now offers the Cosmos Series (up to $999), the Pro Eye ($1,799) and the Pro Series (same prices as before)! Regardless of the model chosen, HTC headsets are very serious and largely compete with those of Oculus. The only small downside is, therefore, the price, since HTC does not have financial power like Facebook behind and must, therefore, produce differently. Quality does not suffer and with Oculus, HTC signs the must-have VR headsets!
|1||HTC Vive Cosmos Elite Virtual Reality System - PC||$809.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||HTC VIVE Pro Virtual Reality Headset||$1,199.01||Buy on Amazon|
|3||HTC Vive Tracker (3.0) - PC||$129.00||Buy on Amazon|
|4||HTC Vive Pro 2 Headset Only||$789.98||Buy on Amazon|
|5||HTC Vive Base Station||$134.99||Buy on Amazon|
VR according to Steam with the Valve Index and its optional accessories
Valve, the publisher of Steam, has been in virtual reality for a while now and has never looked back. As proof, a brand new Half-Life game has just been published by the company, only playable … in VR glasses! The headset is worth its weight in gold, at $1,400, and can only be purchased on Amazon website. The Valve Index is also characterized by several small accessories, including controllers, to be purchased separately but which improve the VR experience. Compared to direct competition, Valve is doing quite well despite a few extra euros on its price. The helmet is worth the price however: resolution, speed, and comfort are at the rendezvous.
Other VR headsets?
Once out of the triumvirate of the field, the catalog of VR headsets continues but not all were able to find the market: too expensive, not powerful enough, poor quality glasses … We thus find:
- The PSVR, with several packs including one at $378.99, is exclusive to the PS4 and is only in the hands of 5% of the owners of the console …
- Contains: PlayStation VR headset, Processor unit, PlayStation VR headset connection cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, Stereo headphones, AC power cord, AC adaptor, PlayStation VR Demo Disc
- Games Come First - With gamers in mind, PlayStation delivers a new world of unexpected gaming experiences through PlayStation VR
- Just Plug and Play - Getting into PlayStation VR couldn't be easier. Just plug the PlayStation VR headset and your PlayStation Camera into your PlayStation 4 system. Sold separately
- Advanced VR Display - Seamless visuals keep you connected to the virtual world through an expansive 5.7” OLED 1080p display running at up to 120 frames per second
- 3D Audio Technology - 3D Audio with PlayStation VR means that you'll be able to pinpoint sounds above, below, and all around you
- Samsung Gear VR: virtual reality made in Samsung is only compatible with mobiles, although software allows it to be used on Steam.
- Be transported to amazing new worlds, in games, video and images / Use the intuitive controller that comes in the box to drop, point, select and Drag with a Wave of your wrist
- Supported Devices: Galaxy Note9 (Additional Adapter needed), Note8, Note FE, Note5 / Galaxy S9, S9+, S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+ / Galaxy A8(2018), A8+(2018), A8 star
- International Version with 1-month seller warranty / Exactly same device as US version / English Manual Enclosed / Plug & Play Device / No addtional device setting needed
- Galaxy Note9 requires a new adapter to be sourced free of charge from Samsung Customer Service at 1-800-SAMSUNG
- The OSVR HDK 2 is more geared towards developers and costs $199.49 but is rather well equipped.
- 34 lights on the HDK 2 faceplate in total
- All HDK 2s come brand new but might be unsealed due to customs inspection
- Dual Display 2160x1200 low persistence OLED silver screen with 441 PPI running at 90 fps,recommended for developers and enthusiasts. Not a consumer ready product
- High performance dual lens system for ultra-sharp images. Enlarged eye-box for fuss-free setup, right out-of-box
- Individual eye focus for personalized use without glasses. Diopters cover +4.5 to -2 adjustments to cater to majority of users
- The Dell Visor costs $399.99 but has controllers often criticized.
- Display Size: 2.89” x 2 LCD Display
- Must be connected by a cable to a PC running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
- Features an HDMI 2.0 video output, USB 3.0, and 3.5mm audio jack.
- Display Native Resolution: 1440 x 1440 per eye (706 ppi); Field of View: 110 degree; Refresh Rate: 90 Hz
- Tracking Sensors: Gyroscope, Accelerometer & Magnetometer; Two Motion Controllers Included
- Acer AH101, the HP range with WMR and Reverb headsets, as well as the Varjo VR headset or the Lenovo Explorer have aged badly today, between screen resolutions that are too low and insufficient autonomy. Although Steam compatible, all these headsets combined do not represent a large percentage of the VR machines used on Steam … and for good reason!